Monday, August 5, 2013

The Heart of a Young Momma by Kalyn Saliba


I remember as a child, my Mom playing scripture memory/biblical facts songs for my sister and I.  I can to this day recall almost anything put to music.  In fourth grade, my Sunday School teachers helped us learn the books of the Bible, which I can still recite, and flip to the correct book in an instant.  During my teenage years the thirst for God’s word became more evident in my life.  I began listening to Christian music and memorizing verses and passages.   

“These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.  Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”  Deuteronomy 6:6-7

 Now, as a parent of two little boys (6 and 2), I’m daily praying to live out the above verse during mealtime, playtime, bedtime, at home, in the car, in stores, and with friends.  My boys love songs!  My youngest can learn a tune in a heartbeat.  Something we started listening to with my oldest is Seeds Family Worship.  We all love contemporary Christian and worship songs.  It is music to my ears to hear them request (several times throughout the day) their favorite songs and music videos that honor The Lord.  I just this week figured out how to make a playlist on You Tube.  I found Books of the Bible, fruits of the Spirit, & Ten Commandments music videos.  I also added videos from Amber Sky Records, and Hillsong Kids.  These are great, free resources to enforce Godly wisdom, in a fun way.  There’s nothing better than seeing your children dance and sing to these songs.  And of course I join them too!

 “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.”  Psalm 150:6

We want our boys to learn at this young age the difference between head knowledge of God and a heart relationship with our Savior.  Our oldest began memorizing one verse per week this past school year, and monthly verses and virtues through church.  We always discuss the meaning of the verse.  Some he understands more than others and that’s okay.  We’re just helping to build a foundation and plant seeds.  Each verse from school now lines his bathroom mirror. 

“Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”  Joshua 1:8-9

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Psalm 119:11
 
We daily try to have a devotional time with our boys, but sometimes this doesn’t happen.  The book we have now contains questions and an application game or recipe.  If we don’t get to do this, I used to feel like I failed them that day.  I know now, just like in my own walk with the Lord, God is not waiting for me to mess up.  He knows my heart.   My life is to worship Him with everything I say, do, hear, and see.  So each minute of the day presents itself with an opportunity to live out loud: conversations, tone of voice, helping a neighbor, praying for those in accident we see while driving, demonstrating forgiveness, gazing in awe of God’s creation, lessons in obedience, thankfulness, provision and patience (a big one for us right now) and the list goes on. 

Some days are overwhelming and it is a struggle as a mom to apply the Fruits of the Spirit.  Sibling bickering, whining, deliberate disobedience, and disrespect can wear me down and out.  I am usually reminded in the day, how precious my children are.  I may find a rock in the dryer, a shoe in a kitchen cabinet, a toy car in my bathroom cup (just happened last night), hear giggling while they play together, and surprise “I love you Mama.”  I can not help but smile, and become humbled once again as God tells me “children are a gift from The Lord.”  True blessings!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to leave us a comment. We hope you have been encouraged.